Friday 10 January 2014

Adult life

As you all know, or should, I am 23 years old  and I going to be 24 in a month (oh my god, I am old!). The good thing about it is that I don't feel 23 at all! It's like I've stopped at 21 (oh, I wish). However, sometimes I have the feeling that my life is not what it should be. I mean, I've completed my Master, something that I would never thought of doing a few years ago; I am living abroad and have a job (not the perfect one, but working on it), and I don't depend on a man. Living the dream right?
But then, I look at my childhood friends, and then that's when I feel like something is not right. Four of them are already mums, one of them is pregnant with the second child; one of them is married and the other engaged. So all starting to build a family. And it makes me think: "Should I start thinking about that?", "Should I start looking to settle down?", but then I think "I am too young for that, I still have a lot to live and a lot to do."

As I said in my last post, I have no clue of what is in for me this year, I have no idea how my life is going to be in the next few months, so why should I start thinking about that? I remember when I was about 16/17 and kept saying I will never get married and I'm only having children when I'm 30. The truth is, I look at my friends, they are really happy with their married lives and children, and I look at cute babies and think "oh my god, I want a baby." But then again, if I got pregnant now, I'd probably kill myself (joking, obviously). Besides not having the best financial situation for that, I don't even have the mentality for that! Sometimes I don't know how to take care of myself, imagine taking care of a baby. 

But the question I ask is, "Is it getting married and having kids at a young age an obligation from society or is it postponing marriage and children and focussing on the career first a trend of nowadays society?"
In my opinion, there is a lot of pressure for both. For women to have children and also build their career. So what are your views on it? Do you agree or disagree? 

No comments:

Post a Comment