Sunday 8 December 2013

RIP Madiba

"I have walked that long road to freedom. 
I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. 
But I have discovered the secret that, after climbing a great hill, 
one only finds that there are many hills to climb" 

I still cannot believe that Nelson Mandela is not with us anymore. When I got the news about his death, I didn't believe until the morning after, when it hit me. The man, who was and still is such an inspiration, who fought hard for his beliefs, who changed his country's and the world's mentality, who inspired people all around the world, died. Many people can say to me, yes I was expecting that, he was ill and 95 years of age, and all that, but for me Mandela is one of those people that you don't expect to die and that they're going to live forever. However, for me, he will always be here, we will always be an inspiration, we will always be the person that when I feel like I can't do something, I will think about how hard he fought even though he was in jail and he still conquered his dreams, he still overcame all the barriers that existed and he still changed people's minds.

Yesterday, it was my graduation, and during the ceremony, the university's Chancellor, and teachers honoured him, by quoting him and did a minute's silence in his memory. One of the things that they all said was "You are graduating in the week that one of the most important and brave person in the world died. You should see this as the way to inspire you to change the world and fight hard for your dreams"
As Mandela always said "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."

For the man that inspired the world, Thank You! You'll always be with us.

RIP MADIBA 1918-2013 :( 


No comments:

Post a Comment